How do I know if my vegan cheese has gone bad?Updated 5 months ago
The good news first: if your cheese is spoiling, you can easily detect it with your senses. It is not possible to eat bad cheese without noticing it if you pay attention to important signs.
You can clearly detect an infestation of harmful mould: The foreign mould on cheese usually looks the same as you know it from other mouldy foods. It manifests itself as furry round spots that only grow on the surface and are usually dark green to black. If you look closely, you will see small downy hairs. Mould reproduces via spores and these can be present throughout the cheese, even if it is only visible on the surface. Since some moulds can produce strong toxins, it is very important that you dispose of all the cheese. Therefore, keep different types of cheese separate from each other.
Blue cheese: With blue cheese, a distinction is made between "good" and "bad" mould. For the production of blue cheese, selected mould strains are used that have been specially bred for food production. They are responsible for the typical taste and texture without being harmful to humans. Should small, grey spots appear in the closed, white mould layer, this is fortunately not a sign of spoilage. Even the white mould that grows over the cut surface of your finished Camembert/Brie is not harmful and does not spoil your enjoyment. However, mould has no place on other foods. Therefore, keep different types of cheese separate from each other.