When you use natural plant materials, you also get all the benefits of the nutrients they bring. The SCOBY will absorb these nutrients and pre-digest them for you. This ensures a higher bioavailability of these nutrients. Therefore, it is definitely worth considering herbal teas. Here are some of the most popular herbal supplements for kombucha:
- Raspberry leaf - antibacterial and helps digestion
- Dandelion - good for improving liver health and cleansing the blood
- Elderflower - a vitamin-rich spring tonic
- Nettle - anti-inflammatory, helps with rheumatism
- Chamomile - reduces flatulence and helps soothe the nervous system
Regarding the fresh herbs: it is better to dry the herbs beforehand. Then, in any case, boil the tea briefly for 1 minute so that the kombucha/water kefir is not contaminated!