For fermentation, the culture needs proper sugar. Xylitol and other sugar alcohols must not be used. It would be the same as if you were put on a zero diet. You might be able to endure it for a few days. But after that you start craving real sugar to get energy. It is the same with kombucha. It needs real sugar in the form of white table sugar, raw cane sugar, whole cane sugar or honey.
Articles in this section
- Where should I store the finished bottles of water kefir?
- Which water should I use for water kefir?
- There are orange grains between the water kefir crystals. What is it?
- Which bacteria and yeast cultures are contained in water kefir?
- The water kefir tastes like vinegar. What have I done wrong?
- The water kefir becomes thick and slimy. What is wrong with it?
- Can you reuse the fruits from the water kefir batch?
- Can you also use the kombucha jar for water kefir?
- The water kefir crystals grow too quickly. Is that normal?
- Will the water kefir crystals survive the transport to my home?